January 31, 2013

NEW BARBARELLA

Celebrate Spy Vibe's birthday by entering to win cool vintage collectibles. See the main contest page for details. Entries must be in by February 3rd.


Variety reports that the Barbarella project with 007-writers Neal Purvis and Robert Wade has been revived as a new television series from Gaumont International. Lost in development a few years back as a feature film, the new series, Skein, is based on the original comic character by Jean-Claude Forest that inspired Vadim's 1968 cult classic movie with Jane Fonda. The cast has not been revealed. The executive producer is Nicolas Winding Refn. "I'm excited for the opportunity to reinvent 'Barbarella' with my friends at Gaumont and Martha De Laurentiis," said Refn. "And I look forward to bringing this unique character to life for a new generation of fans as I believe she is one of the ultimate counter-cultural characters." Purvis and Wade are set to write the series. Although I love the costumes of the Vadim film, it was ultimately too static and stagey to work as a movie. In the hands of these very competent writers, I hope to see Barbarella translated as cinematic experience with fresh ideas and dynamic storytelling. See my review of Purvis and Wade's script for Skyfall here.

No comments:

Post a Comment