April 30, 2012

007 PROOF

Gathering images over the last couple of years for a book, I've come across some pieces that really appeal to me as a photographer. I still love the look and feel of the darkroom process, so it's no surprise that something like a proof sheet of images taken on-set would thrill me completely. Here is a proof sheet that reveals the photographer's approach and process as they tried to capture Ursula Andress and Sean Connery filming Dr. No. As I would point out to my students, you can tell how the scenes were edited in the frame at a variety of distances, settings, and how they explored a number of ideas for this particular roll of film. You can imagine them thinking through questions, like what is the story, who are the characters, what are the key elements that can be translated in single images? They didn't get much with 007 here, but they sure succeeded in establishing the iconic image for Ursula's character. 


No comments:

Post a Comment